Monday, June 11, 2012

Model 100 / Modelo 100


Model 100

(Más abajo hay una versión en castellano) 
It was the first computer we’d had at home.  Not the first one I’d used: that would have been a Sinclair ZX Spectrum at my Scottish grandparents house during the winter of 1985-1986.  They had a little book with it and I would copy out the BASIC programs, searching on the keyboard for the keywords in programming mode, and becoming more and more frustrated that I couldn’t just type them in like normal words.
Then my father brought home a TRS-80 Model 100 portable computer.  32K RAM.  8 lines by 40 characters LCD.  Came with a Word Processor (which I used to write stories that were horribly derivative of Star Wars, although I do distinctly remember using a double bladed lightsaber a good 10 years before they became fashionable), an Address Book, a To-do List, and a Terminal program that I never used.  And a BASIC interpreter.  Where I coded text games and anything else I could get my hands on from magazines and books.  It used a cassette tape machine for hard storage, but the one we had at home only ran on batteries, which were usually run down, so it was always a source of great fun and frustration trying to load in a game from someone’s library of third hand copies.
I still have that machine.  Serial No.: 308011271.  It still works too.  I plugged it in recently and it fired up like nobody’s business.  Thought it was 1912, though.  And I couldn’t remember how to do anything on it.  Years and years of first DOS and then graphical user interfaces have left me with no hope of or patience to work out how to use it anymore.
We later moved on to a Color Computer 3 (also Tandy), then some kind of 8088 clone with an amber screen, on which I played all Space Quests 1, 2 and 3, and all kinds of other games in a glorious yellowish monochrome.  Then a 486, then a series of Pentiums, Dells, HPs, and I’m typing this on a 2011 Macbook Pro.  But I’ve only kept one.  I never use it.  It just sits in a box about four feet from where I work every day.  But it reminds me of the beginnings of geekery, and makes me happy.

Modelo 100

Fue el primer computador que tuvimos en casa.  No el primero que había utilizado: ese fue un Sinclair ZX Spectrum en la casa de mis abuelitos escoceses durante el invierno de 1985-1986. Tenían un librito y copiaba los programas en BASIC, buscando las palabras claves en el teclado en “modo programación”, y frustrándome cada vez más por no poder teclearlos como palabras normales.
Luego mi padre trajo a casa un computador portátil TRS-80 Model 100.  32K de RAM.  Pantalla LCD de 8 líneas por 40 caracteres.  Venía con un Procesador de Palabras (que utilicé para escribir cuentos que derivaban horriblemente de la Guerra de las Galaxias, aunque recuerdo distintivamente utilizar sables de luz de doble haz por lo menos 10 años antes de que estuvieran de moda), un Directorio, una Lista de Cosas para Hacer, y un programa “Terminal” que nunca utilicé.  Y un intérprete de BASIC.  Que utilizaba para programar juegos de texto y cualquier otra cosa que pudiera encontrar en libros y revistas.  Utilizaba una reproductora de casetes para almacenamiento físico, pero el que teníamos en casa sólo usaba pilas, que siempre estaban gastadas, entonces siempre era fuente de gran diversión y frustración intentar cargar algún juego de una librería de copias de tercera mano.
Todavía tengo esa máquina.  No. Serial: 308011271.  Y aún funciona.  La conecté recientemente y arrancó sin poner problema.  Claro que pensaba que estábamos en 1912.  Y no me acordaba de cómo hacer nada.  Años y años de DOS primero y luego interfaces gráficas me dejaron sin esperanza y sin paciencia para entender cómo utilizarla de nuevo.
Después tuvimos un Color Computer 3 (también de Tandy), luego algún clón de 8088 con una pantalla ámbar, donde jugué Space Quest 1, 2 y 3, y toda clase de juegos en un glorioso color amarillento.  Luego un 486, luego una serie de Pentium, Dell, HP, y estoy escribiendo esto en un Macbook Pro.  Pero sólo he guardado uno de ellos.  Nunca lo utilizo.  Se sienta en una caja como a metro y medio de donde trabajo todos los días.  Pero me recuerda el lugar donde comenzó mi ñoñez, y me hace feliz.

No comments: